top of page

Economic Support & Resources

District of Hudson's Hope
Employer Support

BC Employer Training Grant Program

Work BC

The B.C. Employer Training Grant provides funding to small, medium and large enterprises to support skills training for their workforces, including prospective new hires. 

The intent of this program is to help British Columbians access the skills training required to adapt to the labour market’s changing job requirements, while also encouraging employer involvement in skills training. 

The Employer Training Grant helps employers pay for training, which in turn helps employees experience increased job security or move into better jobs.


80 percent of the cost of training up to $10,000 per employee, with a maximum annual amount per employer of $300,000.

Application Period

Employers can apply as often as they need

Eligible Applicants

Small, medium and large enterprises

Additional Details
  • Training must result in increased job security or a better job for a current employee once training is completed, or a job for an unemployed person. 

  • The Province will reimburse employers 80 percent of eligible training costs. The employer must contribute the remaining 20 percent. 

  • Employers are eligible to receive up to $10,000 per participant and up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). 

  • At the time of application, participants must be unemployed, or employed by the applicant employer. 

  • Employers must submit their application on their own behalf, using their Business BCeID. Third parties cannot apply on an employer’s behalf. 

  • Participants must submit their own Participant Information Forms before an application can be submitted. Employers cannot submit these on an employee’s behalf. 

  • If approved, employers (not participants) are to pay for all costs in full and, after training has started, submit a reimbursement claim within 30 days. 

  • Employee participants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada). Temporary foreign workers, international students, or other temporary residents are ineligible. 

  • Training cannot be longer than 52 weeks in length. Note that the ETG does not fund diploma or degree programs, in full or in part. 

  • Priority: Priority is given to first-time applicants, small businesses, and applicants from regions and industries experiencing the greatest challenges acquiring skilled workers. Learn more about B.C.'s labour market and industries.

bottom of page